Monday 15 February 2010

More pubs closed

Two more pubs in Southport have closed, although I've no idea whether the closures are temporary or not. The Old Ship in Eastbank Street and the Rabbit in Manchester Road, both formerly real ale pubs although not recently, are closed and look empty. If I get more information, I'll pass it on.

The Old Ship was my local for many years when it sold beers from the Walkers range along with Ind Coope Burton Ale, well worth drinking in those days. For a few years we had a folk club upstairs in the rather good little function room, and the rear of the pub used to boast a boules (pétanque) pitch. The game became surpisingly popular.

P.S. what a coincidence! On the very day I posted this, I bumped into Dave, an old friend of mine from the Old Ship days, in the Guest House last night (Monday); I hadn't seen him for at least 15 years. He married everyone's favourite barmaid, but we don't hold that against him. Now their kids are growing up, which is rather disconcerting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, including disagreements, are welcome.
Abuse and spam are not and will be deleted straight away.
Comment moderation is installed for older posts.