Friday 7 January 2011

The Crown and The Globe

Side view of The Crown, Lime Street
I went for a drink in Liverpool with an old friend yesterday. We met in the Crown by Lime Street Station. For some reason, although this fine old pub has many original features and sells real ale at a good price, it seems to be overlooked when people talk about great Liverpool pubs.  I enjoyed a couple of pints of Brains Reverend James at £1.95 a pint. My friend had lager shandy - I didn't ask for a taste. The pub is wood panelled with moulded ceilings, brass fittings and an unusual old bar, and the outside is largely unaltered with large old "Walkers Ales Warrington" signs, as you can see from the picture. I wrote about some old family memories associated with this pub previously.

On after that to the Globe, opposite Central Station; I've mentioned this pub a couple of times before. There were four beers on, including Cains and Black Sheep, but I decided to try the JW Lees Coronation Street premium Ale (4.2%). Lees is a dependable brewery and this beer was fine. My companion, not a real ale drinker, decided to try a half and enjoyed it too "What's that I can taste in it?" she asked.  I suggested a touch of caramel. "Yes, that's it," she agreed. Then she had another half. Not bad for someone who was drinking lager shandies earlier. She also said she didn't like pubs much, but could see why people would like a friendly place like the Globe. She had bought a new handbag before meeting me, and a woman in the back room leaned over and gave her a coin: "Here you are, love, for your new handbag." It's just a friendly local in the city centre with excellent service from the bar staff even when the pub is full.

All the Liverpool city centre stations are near good pubs (click here for those by Moorfields, the third station).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, including disagreements, are welcome.
Abuse and spam are not and will be deleted straight away.
Comment moderation is installed for older posts.