Tuesday 4 January 2011

Tipsy Angel in Warrington

Dave White of Wigan CAMRA has told me that the Lower Angel in Warrington that I wrote about on 31st December will be opening its own microbrewery within the next few weeks.  He said the brewery will be called Tipsy Angel, although that might have been a joke. I've occasionally heard murmurs about a new brewery here for a year or two, and I'm pleased they weren't just rumours.

This will certainly improve the beer situation in Warrington, which was poor when I was a student in the 1970s (choice of Greenalls and Tetleys) and wasn't much better a couple of years ago when I went on a pub crawl in the town. The Albion on Battersby Lane is a great pub (I went to one of its beer festivals in 2009), and the Lower Angel has served decent beer for a good while, but overall Warrington hasn't been well served by breweries and pubcos over the years.

I look forward to hearing about the new brewery and trying its products.

2 comments:

  1. Hi
    The Tipsy Angel brewery is now up and running, Aidan's first brew was Angel's Folly, a dark stout based on the old Walker's Falstaff ale.
    They shifted 4 x 9's on Friday 29th April, I luckily managed to get in for a couple before it went. A bitter is due next, I gather.
    Cheers
    Tony
    Warrington

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tony, for that update. I hope to get there myself fairly soon.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, including disagreements, are welcome.
Abuse and spam are not and will be deleted straight away.
Comment moderation is installed for older posts.